Electrical Safety Tips
Electricity helps make our lives easier but there are times when we can take its power and its potential for fire-related hazards for granted. Let's talk about a few electrical safety tips to follow to keep your home fire-safe.
• Always plug major appliances, like refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers, directly into a wall outlet.
• Never use an extension cord with a major appliance — it can easily overheat and start a fire.
• Always plug small appliances directly into a wall outlet.
• Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.
• Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
• Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
• Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them.
Thank you to U.S. Fire Administration for sharing these tips for us to share with our customers!